Wednesday, May 14, 2008

10 Easy Ways to Go Green

These were a list of suggestions for easy Green ideas for Earth Day from one of my favorite T-shirt places, PeaceLoveMom. PeaceLoveMom and My Green Blog Doc encourage you to think green, go green and live green.

10 Easy Ways to Go Green:

1. Do not let the water run while you are brushing your teeth.
2. Take a shower instead of a bath.
3. Do not run the dishwasher until it is full & let the dishes dry naturally.
4. Pack daily lunches in a reusable lunch box and place food in reusable containers.
5. Recycle – newspapers, magazines, aluminum cans, plastic.
6. Turn off the lights when you leave a room & when you leave your home.
7. Wash clothes in cold or warm water.
8. Turn off your computer screen.
9. Use both sides of a piece of paper for note jotting or small children to create art.
10. Recycle your clothes – once you or your children grow out of your clothes donate them or pass them to a friend.
Remember while each action may seem small, over time, these easy to do tasks can make a big difference over time.PeaceLoveMom create designs that will both inspire and empower mothers everywhere, representing a collaboration and true celebration of motherhood.

5 comments:

Mnmom said...

Wow! I do all those things - must be more eco-friendly than I thought. I also:

1. Have been switching all lamps to compact fluorescent.
2. Use my own bags at the grocery
3. Keep the thermo at 68, even in frigid MN winters.
4. Use the back of paper in the printer. Rarely does anything need to have it's own clean sheet.
5. Use reusable gift bags for ALL holiday gifts. No more wrapping paper in our house!
6. Brooms only - no leaf blowers
7. We designed our yard to be mowed without needing an edger
8. Keep our tire pressure up and the oil changed regularly in our old clunker.

michelle said...

Another suggestion would be to do as I did and switch to bioheat. It's great because it uses heating oil and biodegradable products like soybean oil. If you're really into being green then you should be excited about this because you get to keep your home comfy, cozy, and warm during the cold seasons and help preserve the earth as well. It's my best friend during the winter, especially since I get cold extremely easily due to my lack of iron.

Working for NORA has allowed me to find out new info about being green. So I am already aware of a couple of these suggestions on the list. I got lots of great tips from:
http://oilheatamerica.com/index.mv?screen=bioheat

You should really check it out for more ideas

Brianna said...

I'm with mnmom - We use our own bags at the grocery store and I'm even getting to the point where I take them to other stores, too. We also use cloth napkins instead of paper ones or papertowels. I'm amazed at what a reduction it is in our use of paper!
I sew, so I make pillowcases as "wrapping paper" for gifts. Just tie with a string and it is a great package!

AudreyO said...

I found you through the MommyFest. Even though it's over, I'm still meeting new people and having a blast.

Our biggest contribution has been to only use reusable grocery bags. We love it. We even bought a dozen of them for my mom.

Me said...

Children need our help in learning how to use the computer safely and productively. This goes beyond simply playing games and navigating the internet - it also entails treating the computer respectfully and turning it off when they're done. The turnOFFtool, created by a multidisciplinary team from Stanford University, simplifies the process of shutting down a computer or putting it to sleep. Visit www.turnofftool.com to download this tool and learn more.