Monday, May 12, 2008

20 + Ways to Reuse a Plastic Bag

While we'd like to see everyone converting over to reusable shopping bags, until plastic bags are entirely banned, the numbers show us that the average American uses between 300 and 700 plastic bags per year. This adds up to the United States to going through 100,000,000,000 (billion) plastic shopping bags every year.

Target (one of my favorite places to shop of all times) has printed up suggestions right on their bags for ways of reusing plastic bags.


10 Ways to Reuse a Plastic Bag

  • Tiny Trashcare Liner
  • Doggy Duty
  • Water Balloon
  • Roadtrip Rubbish
  • Soggy Laundry
  • Ice Pack for Head
  • Toiletry Tote
  • Kitty Litter Liner
  • Tomorrow's Lunchbag
  • Care Package Padding

  • My Favorite Ways to Reuse a Plastic Bag
    In addition to being my favorite store to shop, Target plastic bags are also my favorite plastic bags, because there are so many ways to reuse them. My personal favorites include

    • Carrying Gym Clothes or Work-out Clothes and shoes
    • Making portable Knitting projects to carry on-the-go
    • Storing Yarn
    • Packing Toiletries for a trip
    • Easy Garbage bag for the car
    • Gift Package Wrapping
    • Package Packing/padding
    • Filling with paper, colored pencils and coloring books as portable activity kits for the girls
    • Keeping on hand in the car for emergencies e.g. storing wet clothes, shoes and other wet children things
    • Mini garbage bag for the bathroom.
    Other Ways of Using Plastic Bags
    Some of the other ways of reusing a plastic bag include
    Recycling Plastic Bags - The Retote
    Target has found a way to Recycling all of their plastic bags that are turned in, creating a Retote. You get the latest issue of Newsweek, send in your old plastic Target bags and they send you a coupon for a Retote bag.

    I decided not to get one, because we already have a lot of their regular reusable bags and the My Green Sacs. If you are interested in knowing more about Target's Retote program take a look at these related articles.
    Do you have more ideas?
    Be sure to share your favorite ways of reusing a plastic bag as part of the Mommyfest Blog Party.

    7 comments:

    April said...

    Found your blog via MommyFest :)

    We use our plastic bags for trash can liners also. I also use them for my regular kitchen trash. Rather than a big 13 gallon bag, I just put our garbage into the grocery bags then toss them in the kitchen trash.

    We also have a local thrift store that takes the bags and reuses them to package up customer's purchases.

    Cher said...

    Hey! Using grocery bags for mini trash bags isn't a bad idea. I may have to try that instead of wasting a bunch of big trash bags. As a matter of fact, I may have to start taking a couple of ideas off of this list and start applying them after shopping at Target, Wal-Mart, and the grocery store.

    I recently went green, so this is just one more thing to add on to the list. At first I was just doing the normal recycling and t things of that start. What really got me into it was when I was introduced to BIOHEAT! After I found out that it was heating oil blended with organic products I was sold. The expression on peoples’ faces when I tell them that I heat my house with soybean oil is hilarious to me. I love it! And OMG during the winter it keeps me just as warm as I want to be.

    If I would have never started working for NORA I probably would have never even considered going green. Since I have I've been more anxious to preserve the earth. I got most of my cool tips from:
    http://oilheatamerica.com/index.mv?screen=bioheat.

    Check it out and see if other tips offered make going green as easy for you as it is for me

    callmekelly said...

    I actually just recycle all of the plastic bags I get, though I use cloth bags mostly so I don't have many. I find that may be better than using as liners. Instead, I don't use liners in the small trash cans but rinse them out when they do get dirty with collected rain water. Great tips though. Check out my blog about my attempts to go green at: http://greenalert.blogspot.com/

    Anonymous said...

    Yeah I wish the grocery stores would actually get rid of plastic and paper bags and make everyone that wants groceries use the recycle bags!

    Whenever I go to Wal-Mart though I try to remember to take any plastic bags I have recieved.

    Enter me for your giveaway too !

    Angie said...

    Dropping by from Mommy Fest to enter your giveaway.

    I re-use plastic grocery bags for when I clean out the cat litter box.

    ikkinlala said...

    We use our plastic grocery bags as garbage bags - if we tried to use full-sized garbage bags, it would stink too much before we got them full. We've been using cloth bags for a long time, but sometimes we need to leave them at home so that we'll have some bags for garbage.

    Michaelle said...

    I am a nurse and when I did Home Health, one house I went to should have been declared unfit for inhabitation. Anyway, I would carry a ton of plastic Walmart bags with me in the car. Before I went in this house, I would step one foot in each bag, tie it around my ankle, and off I'd go. When I left the house, I removed the bags from my feet, then my gloves and disposed of them in another plastic bag.